Sunday, October 28, 2007

An Introduction of Such

It's been awhile.
So long, in fact that I've become a stranger to you.
The written word, that is.

Please forgive me. It was not intentional, you see. Somewhere along the line I became disillusioned, and instead of turning to you, as I had done so often in the past, I blamed you for everything that had gone wrong in my life. I hid you beneath layer after layer of socially acceptable uniforms and soon forgot you exsisted.

I became obsessed with other things, small and simple to large and complicated. Obsessed with controlling my overindulgence and drowning in my own self-destruction. And there you lay, quiet and dormant, like the injured branch of a tree after the sting of winter.

I've seen my other branches grow. I've seen the birth of blossoms and the falling of leaves. I've seen the fruit of efforts fall to the ground and rot, and twigs snap off as I've reached upwards towards clouds passing by. But I forgot about you.

You were always there. Sturdy, strong and bare.

Then recently it happened. I'm not sure why exactly. I looked upon this limb and saw a speck of green poking out from beneath the skin. A small breeze came up and shook my leaves and I felt it to the tip of my roots.

I remembered.

No comments: