Thursday, November 1, 2007

Vivian the Victim

I'm having one of those days.

It seems lately I'm having a lot of those days. My horoscope says that the afternoon will be much better. So here I sit. Waiting for the afternoon bliss to begin.

Above me I hear the dripping of a leak from a rusty pipe to the left of me. No one believes that its there though because apparently I'm the only one who can hear it. Everytime I tell everyone to listen it stops.

I think I'm being messed with by an unseen force.

The torment isn't caused by the leak itself but by which pipe has the leak. Where does that pipe come from. I hear a flush and the drip turns into tap, tap, tapping sound. Oh Lord.

One second, while I move a little more to the right...

The electronics of our office have mounted a revolt against us. We haven't been able to connect to the internet all morning and in a last ditch attempt I brought our router to a professional who got it working in under five minutes. I came back to the office and plugged it in. I was able to connect but no one else in the building can, on any of the floors.

Then the phone calls came in of angry coworkers blaming us for screwing up their internet. So upstairs we went to reboot their router.

Downstairs again and my computer won't connect to the printer. I give up. Never been a fan of electronics anyways.

But the calls haven't stopped and no one seems to understand that the cause isn't us but the deceptively cunning electronics, who are mounting a raid to destroy mine and my coworkers day.

Wave the white flag with the apple logo on it. Take pity on us souls who are at mercy to the bits and bytes, html scripting and wireless ghosts of technology.

No comments: